Banner

Banner

Sunday 17 October 2010

Week 6: Pretending it's not week 7.


After a lengthy thinking period, paired with a couple of eye-opening meetings with my supervisor and second marker, I’ve begun to realise I don’t know what I want my project to be as well as I thought I did. I’m starting to realise it’s heading in a direction I never intended. Initially I wanted to create a storyline and world filled with characters, to be used in whatever medium suited the most, whether it be a game, anime or movie. I wanted to create something of my own, with my own designs and my own imagination, only taking notes from previous examples for long-successful franchises and stories. Instead I seem to be more on the track of creating something for the market, tossing my own creativity out of the window and replacing it with “what would sell”. Of course selling is an important part of any piece of work in this field, but to me it just doesn’t feel like where I want to focus.

This is probably one of the worst times to have this realisation, just over halfway through the semester, however better late than never. If I don’t solve this issue right now then I know fine well I’ll resent the work that I end up doing in my final semester, which is not a great position to be in.

Possible impending fate


I’ve already researched heavily into character development and creation, so it’s not all bad. From this point all I need is a little change of focus and with any luck I won’t end up falling behind. Of course this change in my final project needs to be green-lit first, so now’s as good a time as any to go over the issues.

What: Design and create characters around a world or environment. Create these characters with focus on backstory and illustrating how the people they are is due to the environment they inhabit.

Why: To show my interest and skill in character/world design, storyline and narrative writing.

How: Create a short movie trailer and short comic, demonstrating the characters in action in their world. This will draw upon skills in Adobe Premiere, After Effects and Flash.

The interim deliverable of an academic essay drawing on research in the field still seems easily achievable, however my additional deliverable may have to change. I had just decided that this project was a good excuse to learn Actionscript 3, but if the change is leaning away from Flash then maybe this isn’t wise. Perhaps the small deliverable could be a gif, layered in after effects, possibly rotoscoped. I’ve always wanted to give rotoscoping another bash. Imagine a medium where real tv shows and anime could merge and actually be high budget, marketable stuff. A new genre of television…highly unlikely! But I’m getting somewhere in my thought process. Anyway I’m getting way ahead of myself and it’s getting late. Bonne nuit

-MS

No comments:

Post a Comment