Banner

Banner

Wednesday 27 October 2010

Can someone tell me what week it is please?

Good news! As far as I know, stoppable only by another second marker meeting: My project idea has officially changed. Hooray! Instead of focusing on the marketing, I will be focusing more on the creative aspect of things. I’ll still be designing characters, only with the parameters different this time around. Instead of creating the character around what would be profitable in the market, I’ve shifted the research in character design “for the hell of it”. After all, not every TV show/Movie/Anime etc creator bases their product on what would sell; they create because they want an outlet for their ideas and passions. This is what my new project will do for me.

I briefly mentioned in my previous blog post about the prospect of roto-scoping. After spending endless hours contemplating this idea, I’m going to go ahead with it. In my third year I very briefly skimmed the surface of roto-scoping, drawing over still frames in the opening sequence of my groups designed TV show intro. These acted as small intermissions to introduce the characters and their actors, in a sort of homage to cheesy American soap intros, with a bit more colour (and cheese).

Ideally, what I’m aiming for is to create a character or two, a brief narrative or storyline coupled with the kind of world they would inhabit, and then proceed to make a thrilling trailer to showcase what would be considered the “best bits” in said narrative. This trailer will give the viewer a good idea what the plot of the characters would be, while demonstrating my creativity and enthusiasm for character and narrative design.

As for implementation, I was thinking for the most part filming in HD in front of a green screen, this way I would be able to easily Photoshop matte paintings into the background, which can be designed for whatever environment the world would have: at the moment I’m thinking relatively Sci Fi. I think working in green screen will give me the chance to basically create “something from nothing”. Holding a simple prop like a long stick would then be turned into some sort of hellish, flaming sword in the roto-scope. The possibilities seem endless, however to make this good it’s going to consume every single moment I have. Roto-scoping aint fast!

On the downside I once again had to start my academic essay from scratch, so it’s more panic reading for me.

-MS

1 comment:

  1. This sounds far more focused than what you were developing initially, which is definitely a good thing. Your ideas were interesting but too broad and many, now you've turned it into something concrete which you can actually create in a reasonable amount of time. Looking forward to future developments :]

    Also, shifting your perspective from marketing to the creative side of things seems wise. Marketing is inherently about what works commercially, which is a crutch on creativity. I think your ideas are far too valuable to let them be dictated by commercial imperatives. Keep up the good work!

    -Razz

    ReplyDelete