Banner

Banner

Thursday 9 September 2010

Week 1: Enthusiasm


It's that time again, summer has ended, the easy days are over and we all have a few shameful alcohol pounds to shed before the inevitable Christmas binge. This also means it's time to start putting all the ideas I've sketched down on receipts, notepads and whatever other ink-able surfaces together to form one cohesive project. I don't know about you but I'm optimistic already.

So, after an unintentionally long break from blogging, it's time to get started again...and of course by "start" I mean: "create a pretty banner" which took far longer than it should have. Procrastination will be my downfall.



Now that the introduction is over with I can get to the focus of this post: My Honours Project.

So far, my idea consists of creating a franchise from scratch.

What's in a franchise I hear you say? Well, I'm glad you asked because I don't really know either. Never fear, Wikipedia will save the day:

"Franchise generally means a right or privilege."

Ok well not quite what I was looking for, let's try again:

A media franchise is an intellectual property involving the characters, setting and trademarks of an original work of media (usually a work of fiction), such as a film, a work of literature, a television program or a video game. Generally, a whole series is made in a particular medium, along with merchandising and endorsements. Multiple sequels are often planned well in advance, and (in the case of motion pictures) actors and directors often sign multi-film deals to ensure their participation.

That's more like it. In short, my idea is to create a story which can be developed into a franchise. Ideally, less focus would be on the story as the project would be more about the applyability(is that even a word?) and deliverables, however I believe that you cannot have one without the other. I will now end this post abruptly as I have a lot of research on popular franchises to do.

Fare thee well readers.
-MS

No comments:

Post a Comment